Thursday 12 February 2009

VALENTINE’S DAY RED VELVET CUPCAKES

Look at what I just found...

A recipe for making red velvet cupcakes from scratch! Just the kind of recipe I like. I'm gonna see if I can make a gluten-free/dairy-free batch tomorrow, but today I made this recipe (sans a little bit of red colouring) and they are DELICIOUS! I would have tried out the conversion today, but I'm all out of sugar, red food colouring and energy!

my not so red velvet cupcake...


Wish I could decorate like this...


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons red food color

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with baking papers.

Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and then set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl combine the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, vinegar and food color. With a hand or electric whisk, mix until thoroughly combined.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. With an electric mixer, mix to combine the ingredients and then continue to mix until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes.

Portion the batter into the paper lined cupcake pans. Bake until the cake centers are firm to the touch — approximately 20 minutes.

Remove for the oven and cool. When cool, decorate with icing and your favorite decorations.

Yield: 36 mini cupcakes

recipe found online at The Providence Journal, there's a recipe there for royal icing, as well as buttercream icing too! YUM!

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Yummo, thanks for sharing the recipe!!! I sure do wish I could decorate like that too... LOL!!

Take Care
Jodie :)

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

I can decorate like that and I'm sure you can too!!! yummy! thanks
Marion (with a few lessons really its easy! Plus on my side I have worked for years in Deli/Bakery and done cakes)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors