Monday 4 February 2008

Tutorial; Make a bib

Bear with me as this is my first "photo" tutorial... As such, it's also photo intensive, so may take a bit to upload!

Make a bib
Materials Required:

For one bib;
33cm x 28cm Printed Cotton
33cm x 28cm Toweling
33cm x 28cm Flannel or Similar
Cotton
Velcro

Instructions:
1.
Make a pattern or use one from the internet - chickpea sewing studio has a good one. Mine is longer than hers, and you can adjust the pattern to suit what you want. I based mine on a bib I was given when my girls were small. (Thanks Anita!)
2. Lay your pattern out on your chosen cotton fabric, pin & cut out.
3. Lay your pattern out on your chosen toweling fabric, pin & cut out.
4. Lay your pattern out on your chosen backing fabric, pin & cut out. (only took a pic of cutting - :) )
5. Make heaps at a time - I made 10 bibs this time! You can make it like a factory line.
6. At this point you could zig-zag the edges, but as the edges get clipped later there isn't much need.

7. Layer the fabric like this;
First the toweling
then the printed cotton (face up)
last, place the backing fabric on the top (face down)
8. Pin together and sew, leaving a gap on the side so you can pull the bib right way out!
9. Carefully, trim away the edges leaving a small edge. This makes the bib sit nicely when you pull it through!
10. Pull the bib through the gap you left at stage 8. Use a chopstick or something similar to get the neck to look right.
11. Iron the bib.
12. Top-stitch the edges so that the bib sits nicely. You can use a fancy stitch if you like.
13. Sew Velcro on so that neck can open and shut easily.
14. You have a great little bib!!
That wasn't so hard, was it?! If you want any help, just make a comment below.

I think you could easily make these bibs reversible, or to spice one up appliqué something on it. My sister would be able to do a great freezer stencil on them too!

20 comments:

Carrie said...

This is super, I'm totally going to try this out, because you can never have enough bibs! Carrie

Anonymous said...

so true! :)

Let me know how it goes!

Two Peas In a Pod said...

This is such a great tutorial. I am going to have to try it this weekend.
THanks!!!!

Belinda said...

Hi there
I really like this tutorial and am giving it a go. I have completed one bib with a flannel absorbant layer and would like to try towelling instead for extra absorbancy. Did you use a stretch stitch and needle to cater for the towelling? DO you have any tips for those who are not so great at stretch fabric sewing ?
Thanks Belinda.

Anonymous said...

Hi - love the tutorial! Did you find it hard to sew the velcro on with the sewing machine? I tried sewing on the velcro and the needle on my machine wasn't able to get through the velcro. Then i tried hand stitching it and the needle was covered in the adhesive making it so hard to sew it. Are you using non-adhesive Velcro?Your advice is greatly appreciated....

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh,im loving this.how super easy is it?
my daughter is like a super drooler and for good quality bibs cost a fortune.i just bought a cheap towel and just cut it up to the size i wanted.
im just using flannel on either side tho.works good.
thanks.

Anonymous said...

Jenny- i used snap fasteners on my bib.super easy too and only takes 5 seconds to do and it doesnt rub on bubbys neck either!

sewfunky said...

Hi Jenny, My old bernina is great at sewing through velcro, but my 2 year old brother is totally useless. So I think that it depends on the machine. I think that it is easier with the non-adhesive velcro, because it doesn't gunk up the needle.

I think anonymous is right, snap fasteners work well and are relatively easy to use.

D.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your web site- a holiday present for ME. Love, love, love your bib tutorial; first one on the net that I can follow. Your efforts are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I make bibs similar to these but mine are machine embroidered on the top side.

Since I make these "baptismal bibs" for my church, I needed a very sturdy pattern. These bibs are given to the parents as a momento.

My favorite pattern material for items like this or other small items is Timtex or Peltex.

You can just trace around it so quickly. I hang my patterns to keep them wrinkle free and handy.

I see some small wrinkles on the edge of your bibs after they have been turned and pressed. I have the same problem and have never been able to resolve it.

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! I think I'll make some as shower gifts!

Before turning right side out, clipping the extra fabric right up to the stitch line on any curves before cutting it close and turning will probably get rid of the small wrinkles someone mentioned. I think they look great regardless!

sewfunky said...

That's what I do... I use pinking shears to cut close to the edge before I turn inside out. Works a treat! :)

Anonymous said...

I made a bib today using your tut, it turned out great - can't wait to make more! Thank you!

-Novice Sewer

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous bibs and I love the materials you've used too. I'm inspired to have a go at making my own. I have a 7 month old and have quickly learned that you can never have too many bibs!
- Anna

BrownBerry said...

A great big THANK YOU from a total sewing newbie - I felt so happy when this was finished, I've put aside a whole bag of older clothing items to use for backings, and printed cotton scraps to use for these.

Thanks again!

Our Life Version 6.0 said...

Thanks for posting this tutorial! It helped me with my bibs when I was "nesting" with my son! I made two of these 3 days before he was born!

subha said...

Thanks for this tutorial – it is great! i made 2 bibs and had lots of fun! cant wait to make more - will make great gifts...

thanks again!
subha

http://www.LABELit.etsy.com
http://www.JASphotoStudio.etsy.com

raizel said...

Hi,

I was about to make a bib and wasnt sure how to seal the edges and then found your tutorial.OH, turn it inside out-brilliant. Anyway, just finished and it came out PERFECT! Thanks so much. I also used snaps instead of velcro and used a decorative stitch all around the edge to give it a nice finished look!
Thanks!

Lilly said...

I just started sewing bibs and I'm hooked. My daughter is 3 months and drooly so looking for new patterns. I've done some out of flannel w/ cotton batting. I'm gonna try out this pattern. Thanks alots :)

***Brenda*** said...

Love this pattern! I have never made a bib before. I made7 of them Saturday. Thank you sew much!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors