Thursday 14 February 2008

Tutorial; Make a Rice Bag

Materials:
15 1/2 “ x 8 “ Cotton Fabric for Sack (Inner) (COTTON ONLY)
18 “ x 8 1/2” Cotton Fabric for Sock (Outer)
1 3/4 cups of Long Grain Rice

1. Take the cotton fabric you chose for the inner (I used cotton chambray) and zig-zag (or serger) edges. 2. Fold the fabric in half (right sides together), and sew one short end and up the long side. Use a scant 1/2" seam allowance.3. Turn rightside out. This makes a little sack to which you add 1 3/4 cups uncooked long grain white rice. Use a funnel to help get the rice in!4. Now turn in the seam allowance on the remaining open end and finish by sewing across it. Make sure you sew right across so that the rice can't get out.5. Take the fabric you chose for the sock. I used some remnants that I had in my stash – this is a great way to use up some of that extra fabric you have lying around! Sew up this piece like you did the sack only finish off the open end by sewing the seam allowance in by an inch (see pics below).
This will be what can be washed if it gets dirty. DON'T WASH THE RICE SACK!!

To heat:
Put the rice bag into your microwave oven, set on HIGH and time for 1 1/2 to 2 min. I usually only put it in for just over a minute as that is hot enough – especially if you are using it for children!

Here is a little poem I found on the internet that you could use if you made your sack and sock as a gift!

The Rice Bag
This little pillow filled with rice,
Is such a comforting device.
Microwave for 2 minutes on high
And kiss those aches and pains goodbye.
Apply it to the troubled spot,
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes so cold,
You'll find this nice to have and hold.
Or freeze it for a little while,
And fix that booboo up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
Use this pillow filled with rice.

1 comment:

Mary Alford - The Sustainable Design Group said...

I have not used rice before! I use flax seed mixed with lavender, chamomile and a little rosemary. But rice is certainly cheaper (although I will keep adding my herbs). Love the baby booties also. Great site!!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors