Wednesday 18 June 2008

tutorial | Knitting Needle Roll

This idea has been rolling around in my head for a month or so. I needed a better place to keep my knitting needles. So that I could find the right size when I needed one, and also so that I knew what I still needed size-wize. I am so sky high happy about my bernina - it worked like a dream on this project.

So here we have it, the simple knitting needle roll made from a very simple tea towel. :D

requirements;
a nice tea towel, I used a really nice ladelle Dandelion tea towel
sewing machine & thread
ribbon, around 25cm in length
elastic

1. The most important thing to do here, is to choose the tea towel you are going to use.

I like this one, it ended up costing me $1! I kid you not!!!
Make sure your knitting needles will fit nicely (i.e. that the tea towel is wide enough).Then choose some matching ribbon.
2. Next, make the elastic casing;

Fold over and sew one long edge to make elastic casing.
Thread the elastic through the casing.Sew the end's of the casing to encase the elastic. Make sure to sew backwards and forwards a couple of times to strengthen the seam.Gather the elastic a little bit and sew the other end. It needs to be able to be pulled flat.Trim the elastic ends so that they don't show.
3. Side Seam's;

Pin and sew the side seams - using the tea towel seam as a guide. :)This is what it looks like now:
4. Sewing on the ribbon;

Fold the tea towel in half length-wise to find the mid-point.
This is where you are going to sew the ribbon.Pin in place.sew the ribbon twice (see pic below)
don't forget to reinforce the stitches by sewing back and forth a few times
5. Sewing the pockets for the knitting needles;

Tack, by using a long stitch along the elastic edge.
Take care to pull the elastic straight as you are sewing, so that it is even.
This is what it looks like now;
Begin sewing the pockets.
You could measure here, but since my tea towel had a
nice geometric design. I used that as my guide. :)Make sure you trim the thread ends as you go,
speaking from experience they can get tangled up!This is what it looks like now;

6. The finishing touches;

Unpick the tacking thread.Put your needles into the roll. I left a larger pocket on the side to fit my scissors.TAH DAH!
Let me know if you use this tutorial to make one! :)

4 comments:

penney said...

Wow Very nice work, thanks for sharing! I love your craft items
Penney

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

im sewing a short set right now for my Barbie girl, but this will be next on my list i will have to post it when done on my blog! Huggs Marion

PaisleyJade said...

You are so clever!!!

B.Smith said...

Can you explain how to sew elastic into a casing. I am never quite sure if I am supposed to sew it attached to the fabric or just sew directly underneath the elastic. Thanks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors