Monday 3 November 2008

striped diagonal cloth

Sometimes I get a little bored knitting the typical "granny's diagonal dishcloth" and I also have a lot of half balls of cotton yarn to use. I decided to see what a striped diagonal cloth would look like.

This is an ordinary pattern using self striping yarn

I knitted a cloth up with magicline self striping yarn. It looks good. :)

Granny cloth with 2 different yarns...

I then knitted a diagonal cloth with 2 different yarns. One magicline self striping yarn and one plain DK cotton yarn. To keep the square shape and the uniformity of the pattern I used the below pattern:

Row 1: Knit both colours together
Row 2: Knit with just magicline
Row 3: Knit with just magicline
Row 4: Knit both colours together
Row 5: Knit with just plain cotton yarn
Row 6: Knit with just plain cotton yarn

Use these 6 rows and repeat until the cloth is finished.

I used this pattern which is widely available on the internet:

Granny Dishcloth
CO 3 sts
Increase Row: K1, yo (in the opposite direction – this prevents a hole when knit), Knit to the end of the row.
Repeat the Increase row until reaching a total of 43 sts. Knit 1 row even.
Decrease Row: K1, K2tog, Knit to the end of the row.
Repeat the Decrease row until reaching a total of 3 sts. BO all sts.

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.blogspot.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love all your clothes. In fact I am donating clothes to Relay for Life and am using your latest Cast off Twirl because it works up so nicely. I have made them all and love each one. I like the gramma's favorite but mine comes out like a diamond. Yours are perfectly square. Not sure why. Anyway beautiful work.
Nanner1950 in FL

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

These are beautiful. Now is you were to make TWO a bit bigger, secure the bottom corners with buttons draw the top up into a star shape and secure with buttons, you would have a fab tea cosy!!!!

Normatika said...

Great dishcloths! love the vibrant colours!

Márcia said...

I loved this idea. Knitting two colors together. It's so beatiful!
I love all your dishcloths!
:D

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors