Tuesday 24 February 2009

just something I'm playing around with...

Something that will hopefully stop me losing my embroidery scissors quite so frequently...


I've had these little scissors since I was about 15, and they're still awesome, except that I'm always losing them. I have a real problem with it! I have even had to go out and replace these scissors on a couple of occasions, but these are still my favourite pair.

And so an idea started to form about what I should do about it. It was sparked by a project in a recent handmade magazine. It looks nothing like that project now, it's much more basic and had me practicing my friendship knot bracelet skills from way back. I often wondered if they'd ever come to good use... ;)


It's also a great way to use some of my vintage cotton reels and buttons!

I'm thinking about decorating the reel a little more, what do you think? And if you want me to make a tutorial for these, just leave a comment below and I'll see what I can do...


And on another note;

I got some mail love today...

the stamps I won in Steph's owoh giveaway

and the first of the fat quarter's from the sew mama sew swap...

2 fat quarters from Jacqui a.k.a. hazelnutgirl

Feeling the love here! :D

7 comments:

Denise Kiggan said...

Oh what a good idea! If I can find mine... I think I might try something similar!

PaisleyJade said...

What a great idea! And thank you so much for your special mail package that arrived today - it was like Christmas!!!

CurlyPops said...

Great idea. I have a very similar pair (which i can never find)!

Jodz said...

I NEED a tutorial, pleeeease.

Anonymous said...

What a good idea! Unfortunately it's not so easy to find wooden cotton reels now days.

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I used to be apartment house managers. All units were fully furnished. One day I sat down on the living room couch after cleaning to make notes on what needed to be fixed and dropped my pen. I couldn't reach it down the side so turned the couch over to have easier access. I found 16 pens and pencils, 5 pair of tweezers and drum roll please--- 7 pair of scissors including 3 stork scissors. A light bulb went off and I went to all of the vacant units and flipped the couches and chairs. By the end of the week I had enough items including a fruit jar almost full of loose change, to fill 3 large shoe boxes. The apartment house had kept the same furniture for over 20 years, so a lot of people had lived there.
This was 30 years ago, but I never sit down in someone's home without wanting to sneak my fingers down the side. By the way I am still using the Wiss scissors and have all 3 pr of stork scissors in my sewing machine drawers. Got a great old treadle sewing machine that works great last fall at an auction for $20.00

zipknitter

sewfunky said...

Dizzy, I was lucky to inherit loads of old cotton thread from my grandmother and mother. I have seen them at thrift stores as well, so just keep an eye out and you might find some...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors