Friday 23 May 2008

the windmill dishcloth

Well, as promised here is the pattern for my new design, the windmill, so named by a spoonful of sugar. I still need a name for the first cloth I did based on the circular saw cloth - maybe I'll just end up calling it variation#1... ;)


Materials: 1 ball worsted weight cotton yarn, size 4mm needles. I used Anchor Magiclene for this cloth, which gave it a lovely effect.

Instructions:
Cast on 20 stitches.
This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)

Every wedge:
Row 1 and all odd rows: K across to last 6 stitches, P6.
Row 2: K6, YO, K to last st, turn.
Row 4: K6, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.
Row 6: K6, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.
Row 8: K6, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.
Row 10: K6, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.
Row 12: K6, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.
Row 14: Bind off 6 sts, K5, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.
Row 16: K6, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.
Row 18: K6, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.
Row 20: K6, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.
Row 22: K6, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.
Row 24: K6, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.
Row 26: Bind off 6 sts, K across row.

It's a very simple pattern that looks awesome made up! Let me know if you make it, I'd love to see other peoples take on the pattern.

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.blogspot.com.

15 comments:

Dorothy Noreen Hunter-Talbot said...

Your cloth is beautiful, have never seen yarn like what you used before.

Jodz said...

I think this is one of the prettiest dish cloths I have seen. The colours are divine.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Thanks for sharing the "Windmill" pattern. I am only a fairly basic knitter but looking at the pattern it looks achievable for me. Is Magiclene a wool or cotton yarn?

I have looked again at your Circular Saw design and think a good name would be "Pink Fractal". Refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal for a good definition of fractal. Have a great weekend, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cloth! Thanks for the pattern... it's definitely going on my to-knit list. :)

RoamingKnitter said...

This is a great cloth. It is going in my knitting que right now. Thank you so much for the pattern.

Vivian said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pattern. It is going on my list of things to make. I will definitely visit your blog again.

Happy Knitting,
Vivian

Anonymous said...

wow very nice cloth. I put it on my favorites list. the hubby is watching and says I have enough dishcloth patterns. Marlene McDonald(m.mcdonald123@rogers.com)

sewfunky said...

magicline is made from 100% cotton. It's self striping in effect, a little different from variegated yarn but that would look nice in this pattern too!

Cotton is best for dishcloths as it is more absorbent than acrylic or wool. It also washes better. You need only throw it in the machine and dry until slightly damp in the dryer. Some people even wash theirs in the dishwasher. :)

Anonymous said...

I made this cloth in electric neon green and peacock and posted it on Ravelry. Check it out--I'm Patty7737! Thanks for the pattern. It was fun to knit at my computer when I was waiting for S-L-O-W downloads:)

from lilac bedecked VT,
Patty M.

KnitFixation said...

Gorgeous cloth! Thanks for creating and posting the pattern. I have made one in Sugar 'n Cream Floral Prints and have pictured it on my blog www.knittingdaft.blogspot.com. Please feel free to have a look. Thanks again! I love this pattern.

Judith

Unknown said...

Hi;
We absolutely love your windmill pattern... we would love to use it as our Knit a long in July 2008. Our group is new and you are welcome to join. Our group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gathering_room/

Can we have permission to use your pattern in the KAL?

Thanks you so much;

Mary Lou
Moderator
The Gathering Room
the_gathering_room-owner@yahoogroups.com
Raverly - the gathering room

Anonymous said...

I love your cloths, and looking at "angry chicken" I feel as though we could talk for hours. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasms.
Sandra

chocolatesheep said...

I just finished my first Windmill dishcloth and will make many more. I love the pattern! I have pictures up at my Ravelry account.

yenny said...

This is very pretty. I am not too good in knitting but will definitely try it.

Barbara K said...

Thanks for the pattern. I am on row 26 - but I may be dense - am I to bind off at this point? There are no instructions for the end of row 26.

Also, how did you finish off attaching each section - which technique? The pix looks as if you picked up stitches rather than sew them together -So perfect! Appreciate comments, since I want to make this to give as a present.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors