Monday 23 November 2009

hysterectomy here I come...

Back in March I posted on this very blog about my struggles because of carrying the BRCA 1
+ genetic mutation. 

I now have less than two weeks to go until I actually do something practical about it.  I'm booked in to have a radical hysterectomy on December 4th.  I appreciate all of your prayers and kind thoughts as I go through this mammoth event in my life.

It has been a fairly terrible year for me, and I am especially missing my Mum at this time, knowing how much of a great support she would have been for me.

I'm not looking forward to the pain of the operation and recovery time.  I do however know in my heart of hearts that it's the right decision for me and for my family.

I choose to live my life without the constant nagging fear of ovarian cancer hanging over it.  Oh, and won't life be grand without having to worry about menstruation!  :)

D.

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

That is a momentous event indeed. I think I'd probably do exactly what you're doing if I was in the same situation, the benefits far outweigh the costs I'd say! Will be thinking good thoughts for you next week :)

PaisleyJade said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers... no more periods lucky you!

banban said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Praying for a smooth recovery too. xx

Jo Ashcroft said...

Hey there,

Sending lots of positive vibes and hugs your way. Going to get tested myself soon as my mum had ovarian cancer when I was a kid. Thankfully she is very much still part of my life.

The world needs creative and funky people like you in it!

lots of love

highwaycottage said...

Sending you heaps of get well wishes !!! Take the pain killers on offer, they really help heaps.

One thing I wasn't told. You often don't get any vaginal bleeding till about day 10-12, so if you have none when you leave hospitla, be prepared for it to come later, but don't fret unless it's heavy.

I really feel like I'm on the other side now (7 weeks tomorrow), and am back to riding my bike, swimming etc.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Prayers Always.

ozlynda said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. I know it was not an easy decision for you but I am sure it will be the right one.
Hope your recovery is swift and relatively painfree.

Anonymous said...

I went through this 11 yrs ago and it hurt at the time but what a relief it has become....no more pain, heavy bleeding etc and in your case the fear of the Big C hanging over your head.

It has not affected my sex life which was a concern beforehand, i do take HRT meds though as the hot flushes were unbearable...will this be suitable for you?

After the surgery my two dearest friends visited in hospital with a bright balloon with "Congratulations" written on it(they shouldn't have made me laugh!)

Will be thinking of you on Friday.

Love from coffeee @ DTE forum
xx

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors